Gay & Queer

Tue Aug 24 19:45:53 UTC 1999

This use of QUEER is exactly what one would expect for 1938, when QUEER was
the usual colloquial term for 'homosexual' and GAY was generally unknown in
that sense. I missed Barry's earlier posting concerning "the gay life," but I
have found that most such uses of GAY before the earlier 1940s mean
'homosexual' only to latter-day viewers but did not mean 'homosexual' to the
person using the term at the time (though in the late 1930s GAY probably did
have a queer-subculture meaning as 'homosexual' for a coterie in New York and
perhaps other big cities in the US).