Sports Illustrated, 1967

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 27 00:27:19 UTC 1999

     From a brief SPORTS ILLUSTRATED check of part of this year:

KISS (KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID)--7 August 1967, pg. 42, col. 2.  The RHHDAS has
1971 (although the citation discusses the military of 1963).
     Nothing less than 100% simplicity will do in a pro football huddle.  A
quarterback has to practice Allie Sherman's KISS system: "Keep It Simple,
Stupid!"

WELCOME TO THE N.F.L.--24 July 1967, pg. 24, col. 1.  Said to the victim
after a bruising hit.  Probably taken from "Welcome to the Army!"  It was
soon followed by "Welcome to New York!"
     I (Fran Tarkenton--ed.) was lying there still wondering what country I
was in when Van Brocklin came over and said in that inimitable style of his:
"Welcome to the National Football League, kid!"

WELCOME TO THE CLUB--31 July 1967, pg. 38, col. 2.  The phrase goes back a
few decades earlier, but this is for comparison with the above.  Also written
by Fran Tarkenton.
     "Well, kid," he said, "you've arrived!  You're now an NFL quarterback.
They've booed you and you've been replaced.  Welcome to the club!"

BRICK WALL WITH ARMS--7 August 1967, pg. 13, col. 1.  Said of any large NFL
player.  The phrase should be much older than this.
     Bill Pickens, 6'10", 270-pound defensive line candidate with the Kansas
City Chiefs after his first contact with their All-League offensive tackle,
Jim Tyrer: "It's like running into a brick wall that has arms."

STICK IT IN YOUR EAR!--7 August 1967, pg. 4, col. 1.  The photo shows Sandy
Koufax (the fax machine was not named after him) sticking a ball into staff
photographer Herbie Scharfman's ear.  The East Side, New York-born Scharfman
also says "Stop walking so fast, already?" and "What are you, _kidding_ me?"
    Or to pitchers: "Look, Sandy, I'm telling ya to stick it in his ear, see?"

THIS COULD BE YOU--31 July 1967, pg. 13, col. 2.  This catch phrase is not in
Partridge.  It probably started "this could be you...in a new automobile."
The ad is for flying lessons with Piper Aircraft.  (Ads like it possibly
appeared in earlier issues.)
    This could be you..about to land on a secluded Bahama out-island with
_you_ as pilot in command!  Impossible?  Not at all.  Start flying lessons
now...

WHEN (E. F. HUTTON) TALKS, PEOPLE LISTEN--31 July 1967, pg. 60.  An
advertisement for the Magazine Publishers Association possibly pre-dates the
E. F. Hutton ad.
    _When private citizen O'Mara speaks, the Generals listen_
    General Foods, General Motors, General Mills _better_ pay attention to
the likes of Mrs. O'Mara.  Because she--and you--buy only the brands you
like...

A BUNCH OF GOODWILL AMBASSADORS WHO WOULD RATHER QUIT THAN FIGHT--31 July
1967, pg. 63, col. 3.  This letter refers to the July 3rd story "The Best
Losers in the World."  People are rarely chided with being "goodwill
ambassadors" anymore.
     It seems to me that the article referring to our U. S. Davis Cup team as
"a bunch of goodwill ambassadors who would rather quit than fight" serves no
constructive purpose whatsoever.

JUST WON'T QUIT--10 July 1967, pg. 1.  Dial soap ad.
    Just won't quit!

THEY KNOW HOW TO WIN--31 July 1967, pg. 62, col. 1.  This cliche is said of
winners, especially a winning team not composed of great individual talents.
     ...Paul Casanova proclaimed, "We will win the pennant.  Look at these
guys, they know how to win."

SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER AND I'LL SHOW YOU A _LOSER_--17 July 1967, pg. 82, col.
2.  Probably a phrase by people from Missouri who don't know how to win.
     That's what it's all about: winning.  Show me a good loser, and I'll
(Fran Tarkenton--ed.) show you a _loser_.  I'd rather be a good winner any
day.

SURF TALK--24 July 1967, pg. 51, col. 1.  A nice article titled "Summer
Surfers" about Hawaii.  It includes "trip-taker," "hot dog," and more.
     "You've sort of got three different kinds of kids here.  There are the
bleachies, the California dreamers.  They throw around a lot of surf
talk--shoot the Pipe, and all that junk--but they wouldn't go near a big
wave.  Their chicks have probably got a hairbrush in their bikinis."
     "Yuk," said one of the Lindas.
     "Then there are the trip-takers," said Jabo.  "You know, the pot smokers
and LSD blasters--hippies. (...)  Anybody hanging around Waikiki right now is
_not_ a good surfer.  They're just hot dogs on two-foot waves, putting some
chick on.  Anyhow, the third basic group is us--the good guys."

A GLOSSARY OF SPANISH TERMS USED IN TOREO, 24 July 1967, pg. 36, includes:
     Alternativa, aviso, ayudado por alto, banderillero, becerro, brega,
bronco, cargar la suerta, chicuelina, cite de frente, cornada, cuadrilla, de
firma, derechazo, descabello, en redondo, faena, lance, lidia, manso, media,
muleta, natural, novillo, novillada, pase, pase de pecho, pinchazo, quite,
remate, templar, toreo, toro, veronica, vuelta.