inclusionary religious term

Thu Dec 2 19:13:22 UTC 1999

To be precise, neither "we" nor the Iranians are Indo-European; our
languages are (English and Persian/Farsi).  Therefore, the hostage-takers
might have been of any number of ethnicities.  Similarly, most (but not
necessarily all) Arabs speak Arabic (I'm careful to make this distinction
with my students), and of course not all Arabs or Arabic-speakers are Muslim.