City Names

M. Lynne Murphy M_Lynne_Murphy at BAYLOR.EDU
Fri Dec 3 15:02:56 UTC 1999

Back on British/Southern African clippings: I started re-reading one of my
favorite novels, Norman Rush's _Mating_ last night, and read the following
lines of the American narrator in Botswana:

"What did the sex side of my life in Gabs up to then have to do with it?
This is British:  Gabarone equals Gabs, Lobatse Lobs, Molepolole Moleps,
undsoweiter. ..."

Incidentally, this novel is recommended for its incredible representation of
a female psyche--the kind of thing that scared me and friends who read it
because we thought nobody knew we thought like this. (Then other people hate
it because they think nobody thinks like that.)  Won the National Book Award
in 1991.  I'm desperately waiting for Rush to publish something else.

Lynne, mentally preparing for exile