Historical Newspapers Online; Food menus at NYPL

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Wed Jul 28 12:51:54 UTC 1999

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>  Speaking about American food, LADYFINGERS AND NUN'S TUMMIES (a book of food > etymologies) was mentioned in William Safire's "On Language" column this > past Sunday.  When the book first came out, it had blurbs by Richard Lederer > and William F. Buckley.  As I wrote here then, about a third of the book > contains wrong information!

Barry:

For Safire, that's about par for the course.  When he's doing
etymologies, that is.  When he turns to prescriptivism on usage and
grammar, it's a rare day when he only gets one wrong out of three. . .
I wouldn't depend on one of his prescriptions to cure a hippopotamus of
hiccups.

But what would you expect from a man who is proud to claim that when
Spiro Agnew dumped on "nattering nabobs", the voice may have been the
voice of Spiro but the words came from Safire-Oh?

--  mike salovesh             <salovesh at niu.edu>        PEACE !!!