"kay fabe"

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Tue Jun 1 08:58:50 UTC 1999

You're both right:  this is the conventional form of Pig Latin (my
Pig Latin seems to be even rustier than my Latin Latin)--but that
puts us even further from a solution to the etymology of <kayfabe>.
The word could still be a disguised form of <fake>, but not by
familiar distortion rules.  Any comments from the argot- and
slangologists on the list?

Jim Rader