Evergreen Review (was Re: NYorker tells all ...)

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTK.EDU
Fri Jun 4 14:24:58 UTC 1999

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Larry Horn added to our thread by mentioning my
favorite of all:

>And while we're reminiscing, besides Krassner's Realist (the apogee of
>whose porno-scato-subversive modus operandi was an incredibly over-the-top
>fantasy featuring LBJ and the corpse of JFK set on the plane returning from
>Dallas to Washington after the assassination), I have fond memories of the
>Evergreen Review, also long defunct.  (It did go downhill after a while,
>but it was pretty good there for a few years.)

The Evergreen Review is the first periodical I ever subscribed to. Its
earliest issues (I have original copies of most of the first 25 issues,
including 2 copies of #6 [anybody want one?] did not carry advertising,
and they were absolutely wonderful. The contents of issue #2, for
instance, dedicated to the "San Francisco Scene," published works by
Miller, Rexroth, Ginsberg, Kerouac, Duncan, Ferlinghetti, Miles, and
Rumaker.

These issues, slightly tattered as some of them are, will need a home
before too long. I am donating my paintings and drawing by E. E. Cummings
to the Unitarian Church here in Knoxville (because it has long had an E.
E. Cummings lounge). Any suggestions for a library home for the ER issues?

Bethany