OutIL Fwd: Request from an Illinois TV station

Natalie Maynor maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU
Tue Jun 22 23:36:55 UTC 1999

dInIs said:
> Gosh, y'all (or "ya'll"), ain't langauge a kick. Aren't you glad you woke
> up one day during Shakespeare class (or whatever), said "What the hell am I
> doing here," and wandered off to the linguists. Imgaine what your life
> would be like now if you hadn't!

Yes -- even though my epiphany didn't come until after finishing three
100% lit degrees.

I smiled when overhearing one of our grad students talking to a friend
a couple of weeks ago.  She didn't know I was in hearing distance, but
she was saying that she came back to school (she's an older grad student)
thinking she wanted an M.A. in lit but that she had stumbled upon
linguistics and "fallen in love."  (Her M.A. will still be in lit.  But
at least she has seen the light.)
   --Natalie (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)