86

Albert E. Krahn krahna at MILWAUKEE.TEC.WI.US
Wed Jun 23 05:38:36 UTC 1999

Unless I am mistaken, 86 can be found in the union handbook for
waitpersons. It means "we are out of it."
I've actually had a waiter say it to me, possibly not realizing that I
might not understand him.

 I am having trouble locating an explanation of the phrase "86",
> meaning something like "to refuse a customer service" or possibly
> "to eject a customer". Friends have heard it in "MASH"; I believe
> it may be part of American restaurant-speak where there are
> various codes used by waiting-persons for different dishes.

Has anyone ever checked out the date of the Johnny Verbeck song in relation
to "hot dog?"

the greatest problem
since, well, the "hot dog."

akra