bunnies as sexual euphemisms

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Fri Jun 25 09:14:40 UTC 1999

The vulgar sense of <con(e)y> very likely had a role in pushing this
word out of English in favor of <rabbit>.  Likewise, in French the
homonymy of medieval French <connin> "rabbit" (by suffix substitution
<con>, resulted in literary double entendres, and <connin>
eventually faded in French as the "rabbit" word in favor of <lapin>.

Jim Rader