Hitch your wagon to a star; some "pastrami"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 28 21:34:21 UTC 1999

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> PASTRAMI
>
>     David Shulman told me today that he found a "pastromi" citation from
> 1927.  As everyone knows, "pastrami" is our greatest etymological mystery
> since the Reuben sandwich and the Caesar salad.

Barry and Jim Rader,

Barry, would you be able to post the details of Dave Shulman's 1927
citation?  Also, I notice that MW10 gives a 1936 dating for _pastrami_?
Jim, would you be able to post the exact 1936 citation on ADS-L?  Thanks
to both of you for any help you are able to give with these requests.

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2