Hitch your wagon to a star; some "pastrami"

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Tue Jun 29 11:24:24 UTC 1999

Merriam actually has two cites for <pastrami> from 1936.  One is
from the Springfield (Mass.) Evening Union, Nov. 17, in a column "New
York Day by Day" by O.O. McIntyre (I don't know if this was
syndicated or unique to the Union):

Few celebrities of the New York parade have so completely withdrawn
from the spotlight as Alexander Woollcott.  Conspicuous for years as
a dramatic critic, quondam actor and streak in the Algonquin's
literary pastrami, he is now seen but seldom.

There is also a note by Ed Artin (Merriam's longtime pronunciation
editor) dated Nov. 23, 1936, that is in effect a "field recording":
_pastrami_. Not in Web. even in its literal sense; and it is often
used in an extended sense. Yesterday over the radio the comedian (?)
Walter O'Keefe referred to the song "My Darling Clementine" as "a
piece of pastrami."

Jim Rader