looks like rain

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri May 7 16:49:30 UTC 1999

Here in Oregon we often have the opportunity to remark that "It looks like
rain." In fact, if it's not raining, that just means that it's about to.
But "It looks like rain" could be said when one examines a few raindrops
on the pavement and distinguishes them from, for example, drops of sweat;
or when one surveys the western sky and predicts an imminent downpour.
German distinguishes between these two "looks like"s by using "Es sieht
wie Regen aus." for the first (i.e. identifying the drops on the pavement)
and "Es sieht nach Regen aus." for the second (i.e. predicting rain).
(Although I'll admit that a person could see drops on the pavement and
"predict" that it will soon rain.)

But does English also have a way of distinguishing these two? I don't mean
things like "Those look like raindrops." and "I think it's going to / it's
a-fixin' to rain." And does anyone know whether other languages
distinguish as does German?

With best wishes for your own versions of a rainy weekend,

Peter Richardson