striped, pronounced stripe-id

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed May 19 17:35:30 UTC 1999

Michael K. Gottlieb <michael.gottlieb at YALE.EDU> writes:

Is anyone familiar with the extent to which /straIpId/ is still used for
"striped?"  I had thought that it had been upper-class, East Coast, but
outdated.  I've heard it twice recently in New Haven and in Seattle.
<<<

I use it occasionally. I grew up in & around NYC, middle or upper-middle, in the
fifties & sixties. I can't offhand delineate the contexts in which I use this
pron, as opposed to /straIpt/.

-- Mark A. Mandel