striped, pronounced stripe-id

Larry Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 19 18:29:07 UTC 1999

At 1:35 PM -0400 5/19/99, Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:
>Michael K. Gottlieb <michael.gottlieb at YALE.EDU> writes:
>

>Is anyone familiar with the extent to which /straIpId/ is still used for
>"striped?"  I had thought that it had been upper-class, East Coast, but
>outdated.  I've heard it twice recently in New Haven and in Seattle.
><<<
>
>I use it occasionally. I grew up in & around NYC, middle or upper-middle,
>in the
>fifties & sixties. I can't offhand delineate the contexts in which I use this
>pron, as opposed to /straIpt/.
>

>-- Mark A. Mandel

As I think I mentioned (or at least noticed internally) the last time we
had this discussion (October '98), this is one of the few cases in which my
dialectal upbringing is distinct from Mark's.  I never heard bisyllabic
"striped" growing up in & around NYC in the fifties and early sixties.
"Biped" got two syllables (and "parallelepiped" six), but "striped" only
one.

Larry