flat-head screw(driver)s

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Nov 3 23:36:27 UTC 1999

I've always heard them called square drive or by a more generic term like
security screws and the driver, a square-headed screw driver; never heard
it called "Robertson" screwdriver. I would think a Phillips would slip out
of a square hole because the pitch of the point (or blades, I think
they're called) on a Phillips (which comes
in different sizes all of which are also a different pitch) wouldn't
fit very precisely in the corners of a square hole.

A "torx" head and one other that sort of looks like the international
warning symbol for radiation are a couple more that have their own special
screwdrivers. The "one-way security" screw is installed with a standard
(slotted) screwdriver. I'm not sure how it is removed--pliers, I guess.

maberry at u.washington.edu

 On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 GRADMA at UVVM.UVIC.CA wrote:

> No one has so far mentioned the third type of screwdriver, called in Canada
> a "Robertson." It's for those screw-heads that have neither a slot nor a cross,
> but a square indentation (or don't you have those down there?). I suppose you
> can use a Phillips for them, but a Robertson works much better.
> And now I'm off to find the vodka and orange juice (you do call that a
> "screwdriver," don't you?).
> Barbara Harris.

More information about the Ads-l mailing list