Mormons, Baptists, and Christians

Sun Nov 7 01:18:15 UTC 1999

Someone writes:
<Now, let's get back to making this a dialectal discussion> and goes on to
discuss pronunciation of BAPTIST.

But of course the discussion of the social differences in the meaning of the
term CHRISTIAN is a very interesting question in social dialectology.
Clearly, there is a certain subset of relgious persons who use the term
CHRISTIAN to designate only persons whose particular religious views are
very, very close to their own. Others use the term much more ecumenically.
There is also a grey area here, because the former are often given to such
statements as, "To be a Christian, you must accept Jesus Christ as your
personal savior and develop a personal relationship with Jesus." But such
statements in themselves are open to various interpretations. I would expectd
that most devoted Catholics and Mormons feel that they accept Jesus Christ as
their personal savior and have developed a personal relationship with Jesus.

Does Baylor have an official policy statement that says that Mormons are not
Christians, or is the exclusion of Mormons rather based on interpretation of
what it means to accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior and develop a
personal relationship with Jesus?

This is, it seems to me, an interesting sociolinguistic questions.