Mexican proverbs

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 8 22:13:46 UTC 1999

MEXICAN PROVERBS

    Another tour guide also mentioned the VW-belly button thing.  The rationale is that, in Mexico, a VW is like a belly button--everybody has one.
    There are a lot of young people around, and some of them kiss in public.  My tour guide said that the proverb for this is that the couple is "counting money in front of the poor."

McMANSIONS (continued)

   I forgot to add it (sorry!), but Jessie Sheidlower is on record here at ADS-L supporting the adding of "McJobs" to the OED--something that McDonald's helped prevent.  With McMansions coming on strong (as indicated by the WSJ usage), is Jessie gonna get both of them in the OED?

FOOD AND DRINK (continued)

   Lipton, Nestea, and Cristal all sell "iced tea" here.  However, at the Cancun airport, the two establishments that sold the product called it "ice tea" on their signs.
   SPAGHETTI ROCKEFELLER--with shrimps, spinach, and holland sauce.
   MAYAN COFFEE--Kahlua, Xtabetun (Mayan liquor), and coconut ice cream.
   HOLIDAY COFFEE--Frengelico, Kahlua, and vanilla ice cream.

MISC.

    Greetings from Merida, Mexico.
    The handpicked guy of the current government won the primary here yesterday.  President Clinton's new corruption act has a loophole that excludes Mexico.  It all means that Americans can continue to expect illegal drugs to come from Mexico for at least the next seven years.
    While at Chichen Itza, I saw a group of kids from Argentina.  It turns out they're in a group called Gordi's Girls, a popular Menudo/Spice Girls knockoff that I'd somehow never heard of. The kids sang and danced their way through Mayan ruins.  I have Uxmal next; maybe it'll have Britney Spears.