born-again

Amy Speed speed at PARADIGMTECH.COM
Mon Nov 8 22:34:53 UTC 1999

Yes, "we" also use the term "born-again" to mean saved. In my experience,
they are synonymous. "Born-again" is often used to sound more positive.
Something about it sounds a little more warm and fuzzy than saved. To tell
someone he needs to be saved implies that he is lost. To tell someone he
needs to be born-again implies that he will step from an old way of life to
a new, more positive way of life.

Amy

>This is the way I have experienced what we used to call "born-again"
>Christians using the term "Christian" lately, also.  When these folks
>use the term "Christian," they are excluding members of a vast number
>of mainstream denominations--Methodists, Episcopalians, Lutherans,
>most Catholics.
>
>Does anyone use the term "born-again Christian" anymore, or did that
>go out with President Carter?  By appropriating the more general term
>only for themselves, the Christians-formerly-known-as-born-again
>(CFKABA?) have traded a relatively descriptive (albeit kind of
>silly-sounding) moniker for a less-descriptive one, possibly in the
>hope of having their particular brand of Christianity come to be seen
>by the public at large as the default version.
>
>I don't usually fight these sorts of word battles, but I think I'm
>going to do what I can in my little corner of the world to hold on to
>the term "Christian" for mainstreamers, too.
>

>>This relates to the current Christianity topics because in many sects of
>>Christianity, you will find that people will define a Christian only as
>>someone who is saved. For example, a former Catholic schoolmate of mine
told
>>me that one does not have to be Catholic to be Christian. I replied that
>>being Catholic does not automatically make one a Christian. He disagreed
>>with me, of course, but my definition differed from his in that being a
>>church member (any church) does not make one a Christian. By my
definition,
>>Christianity is not something you are born into, such as Judaism or Islam.
>>
>>Now, the definition of "saved," I'm sure, varies quite a lot between
belief
>>systems. However, it seems that most people recognize the traditional
>>meaning: one must believe that Jesus Christ is God's son who died for
>>humankind's lost souls and rose from the grave; one must accept Jesus
Christ