Sangria; Tartini; H & C

Tue Nov 23 18:05:38 UTC 1999

In Europe in the late 60's I purchased what I recall
were called sangria oranges from Spain, blood red
around the stem but the rest orange in color.  The
flesh inside had the same dual coloration.  So my
question: is the sangria orange a natural variation
and the drink possibly named for it, or was the orange
perhaps developed to take advantage of the name
recognition of the drink? (Or are the names of the
orange and drink unrelated?)

JIM