Fondu(e)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 2 02:39:58 UTC 1999

FONDU(E) (continued)

     The OED has "fondue" (a dish composed of melted cheese with eggs, etc.)
from 1878 (the first cite there is actually "fondu").  "Fondu" (melting) is
from 1848.
     A check of Literature Online shows "fondu" before "fondue."

Luttrell, Henry, 1765-1851
     TO JULIA, LETTER (1822)
     ...the way From soup to fondu and souffle!

Southey, Caroline Bowles, 1786-1854
     THE CAT'S TAIL (1831)
     ...custard; Do, love! try this fondu--'tis made without mustard.

DIXIE (continued)

   A re-check of "Dixie" on Literature Online turned up:

Barnett, C. Z. (Charles Zachary)
   A CHRISTMAS CAROL: OR, THE MISER'S WARNING!  A DRAMA, IN TWO ACTS, ADAPTED
FROM C. DICKENS, ESQ. CELEBRATED WORK (1844)
   ...Mr. Dixie Old Joe...

   I haven't run across this character before.  Did this play tour the U. S.
in the 1840s and 1850s?

JETS

    The etymology of the New York "Jets," as given recently on usenet, is
"Just End The Season."

TOP TEN REASONS IT'S NOT BEEN A GOOD WEEK
#7--VACATION PLANNING

    I got shots to protect me from disease while on vacation.  About a day
ago, the place I'm going to next had a 7.5 earthquake.