Glamis

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Sat Oct 9 17:26:27 UTC 1999

>>the only pronunciation (other than the spelling-pronunciation you mention)
>>I've heard is /gla:mz/, one syllable.  I've heard it often, from Scots and
>>older English folk.  But nowadays you hear Fotheringay just as spelled,

I've asked around, it's [gla:mz]... the [a] being a typewriter IPA a -
slightly lower and backer than American [ae] (ash).  I've heard the vowel as
long, although it really is not in lengthening position for Scottish
English.

--Aa

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron          Departments of English Language
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                                      and Linguistics

 "MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
  --Death