Glamis

Robert Kelly kelly at BARD.EDU
Fri Oct 8 16:32:20 UTC 1999

the only hard--edged memory I can offer is of a well-educated, extremely
intelligent young man from Rotherhithe (in London) who was astonished to
know his neighborhood had once been pronounced Redruff/Rodruff.  I _think_
I've heard Lancastrians themelves say Ul-ver-ston ... but it's likely as
you say, the folks on the telly from London with their New High Rada
accent, indifferent to (or too hurried to find out) local pronunciations.

RK