PU -- and Mexican drinks

Mike Salovesh salovesh at NIU.EDU
Wed Oct 27 09:24:33 UTC 1999

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> P.U.
>
>    I don´t recall seeing P.U. before the turn of the century.  I do > recall seeing it in some cartoons--maybe Billy DeBeck´s Barney Google > and Snuffy Smith?

At last the secret is out -- Barry was around before the turn of the
century!  No wonder he's so good at finding antedates . . .

I'm not (quite) that old myself, but I can attest to "P.U." (alt: "pew")
in use to indicate an unpleasant odor in Chicago and Milwaukee, early
1940s.  As for Pepe le Pew, I thought that was a deliberate bilingual
pun from the beginnning.

The discussion, prompted by an alleged resemblance between Barry's name
and the word for the center of the universe, of Yiddish/Slavic "pupek"
and variants might go easier for those chasing references if the word is
spelled "pupik".  That once was the standard spelling when writing
Yiddish with the "English" alphabet.  The "-ik" sounds like a diminutive
ending out of Russian.

> MEXICAN DRINKS (continued)
>
>    The cafeteria at Monte Alban serves a Cocktail Donaji, which is Mezcal, grapefruit, pineapple, and orange juices.  It´s named after a native princess.
>    A place in Veracruz (where I am now) serves a "submarino" (coca-cola, limon) and a "licuado" (pina, melon, papaya).

"Licuados" are the product of blenders, called "licuadoras".  To make
them you put chunks of fruit in a blender and grind until they are
liquified.  (Sometimes water is added to ease the load on the blender.)
And as I advised Barry before he made an earlier trip to Guatemala, the
"licuado de piña", made from fresh, field-ripened pineapples, is closer
to the nectar of the gods than any other drink on earth.

Have one for me for tomorrow's breakfast!

-- mike salovesh            <salovesh at niu.edu>                PEACE !!!