PU -- and Mexican drinks

Wed Oct 27 15:39:27 UTC 1999

Come to think of it, "pew" was the more common form in my childhood, with
"P.U." a slower exaggerated form.  Now "pew" looks more like "phew", so I
looked up the latter in my (old) dictionary, and it cites "fu, fyoo" as
"conventionalized pronun."  This might suggest an earlier oral form closer
to our childhood pronun., which was then spelled artificially, with
subsequent spelling pronunciation.  No source word is given, but the
definition is all-encompassing: "an exclamation expressing disgust,
surprise, relief, etc."  I generally think of "phew" as only an expression
of relief (sort of whistled); adding disgust gets it closer to our "pew/P.U."