New York Times style on names

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 3 21:49:52 UTC 1999

     Why don't newspapers tell you how to pronounce a name when that name
first appears?
     Today's newspaper is an example, but I've seen this style about six
times in the past week.  The story is in the NEW YORK TIMES, 3 September
1999, pg. B1, cols. 2-4.  Jon S. Corzine wants to be a senator from New
Jersey.  Corzine--like zine of magazine.  We've seen that name before.
    The name is in paragraph one.  The name is in paragraph two.  The name is
in paragraph three.  The name is in paragraph four.  Then, in paragraph six:

     Mr. Corzine (the last syllable rhymes with "pine")...

     NOW you tell me??

    Among my other newspaper peeves:  the New York Post broke "25-year-old"
as this:

25-year-o
ld.