XENOPHOBE'S GUIDE TO THE SWISS

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Sep 15 18:49:01 UTC 1999

Barry quotes:

Pg. 64  _The Author_
     Born in Southport, Lancashire, Paul Bilton recently became what is known
somewhat unaffectionately as a "paper Swiss."  (First marry a Swiss, then live
in the country for five years, fill in forms, wait another 18 months, and
finally hand over several hundred Swiss francs in cash for the paper which
grants Swiss nationality to the local postman when he delivers your mail.)

But why go to all that trouble to naturalize your postman, who is already Swiss?

Well, that's how I read it. When I got to the end I shook my head and went back
to re-parse the whole thing... just like dealing with a German subordinate
clause.

-- Mark