From scare quotes to orphan quotes

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Aug 5 00:23:25 UTC 2000

When I was in journalism school at UNC, I learned the term orphan quotes,
which referred as I remember it, to those quote marks thrown in for
emphasis.  A little bit of spice, I suppose, and orphaned because the
material within came not from an actual quote.  I suppose that they are
free-floating quotes, which writers can reach up and pull from the air in
order to pepper their writing with emphasis and excitement.  Is anybody
familiar with the term?

bob