From scare quotes to orphan quotes

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Aug 5 20:40:24 UTC 2000

I went to a couple grammars to check myself, and I find that an orphan quote
is simply any that is not properly attributed.  To be more specific, a quote
that is not properly introduced.  So it's not the same as a "scare quote,"
but it is.  Hmm, "scare" is perhaps a better name for these specific orphan
quotes, but I suppose that I just enjoy using orphan quote since I learned
it so early.  Perhaps it's time to change a paradigm.  I'll have to find my
brain-jack.

bob again