apostrophe catastrope

Sharon Vaipae lmedu at JPS.NET
Sat Aug 5 09:25:21 UTC 2000

>this is why quotes-for-emphasis so often strike many of us as
>hilarious or absurd.  "FRESH" ORANGE JUICE! appears to some of
>us to be saying that the orange juice is not in fact fresh within
>the meaning of the act, but merely faux-fresh or fresh-like.

This may have some connection with the fresh frozen tuna at my local
supermarket
(and refusing to accept the loss of traditional apostrophes use, I am doing my
best to teach plural vs possessive to my students).

Sharon Vaipae
LMedu at jps.net
English teacher at Duncan-Russell High School, Tracy, CA

                The truth shall make you odd.
                                      -Flannery O'Conner