CBC (was: those low vowels again)

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Sat Aug 5 12:20:51 UTC 2000

>well, now i've heard a CBC announcer

(...on Ehud Barak)

This brings up another question that I may have asked before but I
forgot the answer.  For some reason non-linguists hold "broadcaster"
English to be the "standard" (FN: Are these scare quotes? :-)  ).  In
the U.S. national news, I know Brokaw is Canadian.  Are there any
other Canadians that are the models of standard U.S. English?
Funnily enough, I don't get much American national news here.

I've got to define what "standard" is, and what people use as a
standard.  The school of thought here is that Canadian English and
standard U.S. English are two separate entities and I'd like to point
out the irony of the Canadian news anchors.

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron      Departments of English Language and
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                    Theoretical & Applied Linguistics

Bide lang and fa fair  \\  //
                         \\// /