lefse was:Norway nibbles

Wed Aug 9 17:48:29 UTC 2000

I agree with both comments!  As a Minnesotan who grew up eating lutefisk
and lefse, especially at Christmas, I can say lefse is wonderful--more of a
pancake than a crepe, and generally cooked so that brown freckles appear
all over the potato cake, which is 8-10 inches in diameter, spread with
butter and maybe sugar, and rolled up to eat with fingers.  Flour dough can
be used, but mashed potatoes are better.  And pour melted butter over the
lutefisk, which is cod preserved in lye (yes!); it's rinsed several times
to remove the lye, then poached in cheesecloth and eaten--a bit rubbery,
and definitely an acquired taste.  Most of my family will no longer touch
the stuff.