cheney pronunciation

Grant Smith gsmith at MAIL.EWU.EDU
Tue Dec 5 23:01:16 UTC 2000

>" Journalist Pete Williams, who worked as a spokesman at the Pentagon when
>Cheney was defense secretary under President George Bush, says the name is
>pronounced CHEE-NEE, not CHAY-NEE. Cheney, the Republican vice presidential
>nominee, later said Williams is correct."
>
>http://abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/DailyNews/ELECTION_notebook001204.ht
>ml
>
>Jessie Emerson

The town in which I live is pronounced CHEE-NEE and is named after the 19C
railroad executive Benjamin P. Cheney, whose family still uses the same
pronunciation.

Grant W. Smith, President                       Phone:  509-359-6023
American Name Society                           Fax:    509-359-4269
Prof. English/Coord. Humanities                 Email:  gsmith at ewu.edu
Eastern Washington University, MS-25
526 Fifth St.
Cheney, WA  99004-2431