Misled into error

sagehen sagehen at SLIC.COM
Thu Dec 7 17:36:02 UTC 2000

>>Someone on NPR this morning, reporting on the results of a study into the
>>usefulness of "back belts" for certain lifting jobs, said that people had
>>been "mizzled" (misled) into supposing that the belts were effective.
>>A. Murie
>
>Hard to believe! My father used to pronounce it like that as a joke,
>usually when he was discussing people who he described as "telligent".
>
>Tony Glaser

Exactly.  It's been a joke in our family as well.  In this case I suppose
the speaker was reading someone else's words, though it's not inconceivable
that he apprehended the meaning and spelling together but nevertheless
thought that its pronunciation would have changed in this odd way, as does
sometimes happen in English.
A. Murie