Safire disses Allan Metcalf

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Dec 16 08:49:11 UTC 2000

   It is "Gifts O' Gab" and I see that Safire did mention that the AMERICAN HERITAGE book is a second edition.  Sorry--I'm flipping between screens.
   I checked out Robert Greenman again.  Why would Safire recommend an out-of-print book.
   Well, Greenman has written other books.
   One of those other books was titled NEW YORK TIMES CAPTIVE VOCABULARY.
   Again, for the third time in this one column, Safire's completely unbiased "Gifts O' Gab" selections were not explained to the reader.
   Our beloved Allan Metcalf is dissed, but Safire will continue to use our works like OED and DARE.