sny

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Sun Dec 31 04:44:41 UTC 2000

'Snye' or 'sny' is a Canadianism meaning a side channel of a stream (Gage
Canadian Dict., 1983).  Etym: "From Canadian French chenail; cf French
chenal channel"  I don't have my Dict of Canadianisms (1967) on hand so
can't check the dates or cites, but I seem to associate it with the
Maritimes, for some reason (?)

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
1533 Early Drive
Saskatoon, Sask.
S7H 3K1
Canada

http://www.epa.gov/surf2/hucs/07110004/

I didn't turn up The Sny in my first search at the USGS and this had me a
bit
confused. The capital T on The should have been a clue. A search at
http://mapping.usgs.gov/www/gnis/gnisform.html under "The Sny" turns up:

Feature Name: The Sny
Feature Type: channel
State:  Illinois
County:         Adams
USGS 7.5' x 7.5' Map: Marblehead
Latitude:       394714N
Longitude:      0912108W

Feature Name: The Sny Cutoff
Feature Type: canal
State:  Illinois
County:         Pike
USGS 7.5' x 7.5' Map: Summer Hill
Latitude:       393011N
Longitude:      0905918W

More Sny:

Missouri NWIS-W Data Retrieval page
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis-w/MO/

The Sny Levee District
http://www.geo.mtu.edu/department/classes/ge404/flood/day3/sny/

Newspaper Extracts from 1880 that mention The Sny Levee
http://www.outfitters.com/~melissa/genealogy/beadles/leonind2.html