"product" as non-manufactured

James E. Clapp jeclapp at WANS.NET
Wed Feb 9 23:03:06 UTC 2000

Fred Shapiro wrote:

> I was hoping for
> specific phrases that would include the meaning of "product" being sought.

financial product, banking product, insurance product, investment product,
brokerage product.

"service(s) product" might capture phrases like "financial service(s) product."

And as a first stab I would limit date to before 1985.

Among the reasons it's a difficult question to research is that there is no
hard line between traditional manufactured product and pure service.  Certain
investment vehicles or insurance contracts, though not tangible property, may
be represented by a piece of paper and in any case are created or assembled and
marketed thought of very much like a widget or an automobile.  (I'm selling
shares of a limited oil and gas partnership.  How many you want?)

James E. Clapp