bad hair

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Feb 11 22:20:37 UTC 2000

Looks like I've been having some bad "hair day" days! Ron has just zinged me
twice, first for short memory --

<< Well, OK, but not exactly. We're not talking now about "hair day", but
about
"Adj hair day". "Hair day" in isolation is still meaningless to me, and you
haven't offered any examples of it. >>

Wrong, I did, some time ago, e.g. (again),

     What kind of a hair day are you having?
     I've never had a hair day like this one!
     Well, there are hair days and then there are hair days!
     The hair day that you complained about today will seem like heaven when
you develop male pattern baldness.
<<<

-- and then for overextrapolating from my lack of imagination to a grammatical
assertion:

The fact that Mark was unable to imagine a specific sense for "hair day" is
scarcely grounds for denying that there is a general "sense" for "hair day"
from which a number of specific senses could be derived.
<<<

I don't remember any more the exact run of the thread of discussion that
prompted my comments that Ron's answering. (I might could reconstruct it, but it
isn't worth it.)

I *still* feel that the bracketing [bad [hair day]] extremely forced in
comparison to [[bad hair] day], and therefore I have a hard time accepting it...
when I force myself to bracket the expression in the first place.

Ee-nough. Have a good weekend, all.

-- Mark