Golden Triangle

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 25 12:20:36 UTC 2000

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Kathleen Miller wrote:

> Does anyone know when Pittsburgh started calling its downtown the Golden
> Triangle? I have a Norman Mailer reference dated 1969 - but that's the
> earliest I have located.

This is a pretty old term.  I find the following passage in an article,
"Pittsburgh Plan of City-County Consolidation," in the American Political
Science Review in 1927:

It is this fact of physical separation that gives extraordinary vitality
to the independent local life of the boroughs and townships of Allegheny
county.  They are natural divisions of the great area which centers on the
"golden triangle."

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2