Hamburg Steak ("hamburger")

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 26 03:50:35 UTC 2000

     Back to the burger.
     John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK  (1999) has this on
page 149:

     _The Dictionary of American Regional English_ traces "Hamburg steak" to
1884 in an article in the _Boston Evening Journal_, but the term hamburger
appeared on a menu from Delmonico's restaurant in New York believed to be
printed in 1834.

     I don't know if the OED accepts the 1834 date for this Delmonico's menu.
 I know that the NYPL has many of the 19th century Delmonico's menus on its
database.
    This is from Alexis Soyer's THE MODERN HOUSEWIFE, OR, MENAGERE:
COMPRISING NEARLY ONE THOUSAND RECEIPTS, FOR THE ECONOMIC AND JUDICIOUS
PREPARATION OF EVERY MEAL OF THE DAY WITH THOSE OF THE NURSERY AND SICK ROOM,
AND MINUTE DIRECTIONS FOR FAMILY MANAGEMENT IN ALL ITS BRANCHES (New York: D.
Appleton, 1859), index, pg. 355:

Hamburgh Beef...122