Possessive s: Having it both ways

Sallie Lemons Sallie.Lemons at MSDW.COM
Tue Jul 11 15:43:47 UTC 2000

Strunk and White's handbook deals with the proper use in written form. Except for
names from antiquity (such as Jesus or Icarus), if the word ending in "s" is
singular, then the possessive form is "s's."  Now, how this translates to smooth
spoken speech is another matter, but my assumption has been that this rule aids
that. However, as is well established on this list, I am no linguist. So...