Possessive s: Having it both ways

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Jul 11 15:45:12 UTC 2000

I teach this exact usage to students who care to learn about possessives.  I
got it years ago from a handbook, the name of which, I'm sorry to say, I
know longer remember.

The example I use is Dickens.

Dickens' _David Copperfield_  or
Dickens's _David Copperfield-

It depends on whether the writer includes the possessive inflection with the
-s ending already on these problematic names or words.

One last point, my own name.  I don't think anyone would say Bob Haas'
house.  They might write it and mean Bob Haas's house.  One needs the extra
"s" on the end of my name to form a proper possessive.

bob
writing from Bob Haas's house