Motor City; Michigander; Michigas

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 13 18:01:29 UTC 2000

MOTOR CITY

"Don't forget the Motor City!"

   "Motor City" is not on my online OED.  I guess they forgot.
   See George Shankle, AMERICAN NICKNAMES (1937).
   A card in the card file of the Detroit Public Library reads:

Detroit--Motor City
   1919--2 businesses with that name
   1921--3 businesses with that name
   1937--13 businesses with that name
See Detroit city directories.

MICHIGANDER

   A lot of clippings in the "Names" clipping file attribute this to Abraham Lincoln in 1848.  A quick Making of America database check didn't turn up any earlier cite.  I have a nice "Michigander" cartoon from the 1850s.

WOLVERINE

   The clippings in the "Names" file give the earliest cite as 1835.  A quick Making of America check didn't turn up earlier, but maybe there's a variant (wolvereen?).