'kife'/'parking garage'

JP Villanueva jvillanu at CTC.CTC.EDU
Thu Jul 13 19:17:17 UTC 2000

"Greener" is a term for students & alums of The Evergreen State College in
Olympia.  Evergreen students have traditionally enjoyed a 'hippie'
stereotype.  In Olympia, the term applies to anyone or anything 'granola.'
I didn't ever hear the word 'granola' until I started college in Seattle;
they laughed at me when I said 'greener'.

Another regionalism with a more modern word might be 'parking garage,'
which we say in the Northwest and other places, and 'parking structure'
which was definately the standard in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  Any
thoughts?--jpv