City Adjs. (Was: "Garden City")

JP Villanueva jvillanu at CTC.CTC.EDU
Tue Jul 18 18:02:08 UTC 2000

(off on an hispano-tangent)

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Mike Salovesh wrote:

> For J.P. Villanueva and casual Spanish speakers, what about "De Efeño"
> for a resident of Mexico City, called México, D.F. in Spanish? (I give
> no guarantees on the spelling, which has less transparent alternatives.)

That's a tricky one in both languages:  _Mexico Citizen?_  I'm slightly
resistant to _D.F.eo_ simply because it ends in _feo._  Maybe DFero or
DFense.  DFen~o?

This conversation would make my perscriptivist friends UPTIGHT!  Isn't
there a form like 'Capitalense' or something like that . . .

> That's about equivalent to "Dee Seer" for a resident of the U.S.
> national capital.

As a Seattlite, it's shocking to hear people from DC refered to as
_Washingtonians_, since we save that adjective for ourselves.  Of course,
the joke up would go, "How do Seattlites refer to people from DC?  We
don't!"  (Ha ha ha . . .  Also would have accepted "politicians.")