try and and try to

Wed Jul 19 19:59:07 UTC 2000

The problem with such apparent-time studies is that age-grading and formality
considerations obscure the results. For example, a likely explanation for the
"increasing" use of "try and" is that when older people are interviewed about
usage (esp. by younger people) they tend to give more formal answers than do
younger people (when interviewed by younger people), and "try and"