NY Times "On Language" columnist offer (year two)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 23 22:35:42 UTC 2000

    William Safire, the New York Times "On Language" columnist, is on
vacation.  I could be wrong, but I believe that his fill-in is a member of
neither the American Dialect Society nor the American Name Society.
    The dues for both societies are pretty dirty cheap--about $35 each.
While "On Language" columnists are not required to have any knowledge in
American dialects or American names--they don't have to be expert in anything
other than having nice connections at the New York Times--still, wouldn't it
be nice?
    Again, the offer.  I hope this doesn't become an annual thing, like Tad
Dorgan coining "hot dog."  This is a free deal.  I've sent out certified
letters with stamped, self-addressed envelopes on this.
    If the New York Times "On Language" columnists want to join the ADS and
the ANS and cannot afford the $35 dues, I'll pay it.