Mojito

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Mon Jul 24 13:13:45 UTC 2000

The mojito is a wonderful drink.  It's THE drink in Cuba, at least in
Havana -- I first tasted it there (in Havana) in the early 80s.   Just a
month ago, on the 4th of July weekend in Washington, D.C., I was given the
"definitive" recipe.  (I always believe what I'm told.)  To quote:

A fistful of mint; crush with pestle (or end of broom handle) in bottom of
medium tall glass
Add one heaping teaspoon sugar and mush up with the mint
Add two shots lime juice (about 2 limes)
Add two shots club soda
Add three regular ice cubes
Fill to top with white rum.

Sorry, I have absolutely nothing linguistic to say about this!  Just wanted
to share . . .

Victoria

P.S.  I thought it was another drink that was associated with Hemingway and
the Bodeguita del Medio.  Can't think of the name at the moment, but it's
drunk out of a stemmed glass.

Victoria Neufeldt
Merriam-Webster, Inc. P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA 01102