Fruit Cocktail

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 26 07:30:32 UTC 2000

FRUIT COCKTAIL

_fruit cocktail._ (...)  The term "fruit cocktail" was first used in print in
the _New York Hotel Review_ for 1922; "fruit cup" followed in print in 1931.
--John Mariani, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK (1999)

     From CANDY AND ICE CREAM, August 1915, pg. 22, col. 1:

_Fruit Cocktail_
     Mix together equal parts of chopped pineapple, sliced orange, slice
banana, whole berries of whatever kind is in season or preferred, and the
juice of four lemons to each quart of other fruit, and one-half pint of grape
juice to each quart of other fruit.
Add sufficient sugar to sweeten, but be careful not to get it too sweet.  Let
the mixture stand until well blended.  Serve in glass cups after the mixture
has been thoroughly chilled by placing in a punch-bowl set deep in cracked
ice.  A small amount of iced water can be added if desired, and is sometimes
preferable.

     CANDY AND ICE CREAM is in the NYPL from November 1914 (volume 25).
Where are all the other volumes?  I had a librarian check for me, with no
luck.  Who has them?  Don't people know that I need this journal for the
sundae and the banana split?

JELLY ROLL (continued)

     The New York Historical Society's menu collection, menu 1887-4E, The
Palmer House of Chicago, Ill., 25 October 1887:  "Jelly Rolls."

CAPPUCCINO (continued)

    I looked through the Patents lists from 1936-1946 and "Fred Landi" wasn't
there. I also looked under "cappuccino" and "coffee."  Maybe it's under the
other Tosca owner's name?  Maybe the cappuccino machine patent application
was rejected?

LOBSTER THERMIDOR (continued)

    The NYHS, menu 1894-6E, Rector's of Chicago, has "Lobster, Thermidor"
under "Rector's Specialties."

ICED TEA (continued)

    The NYHS menu collection has the Wellington Catering Company, Electric
Restaurant, World's Fair Grounds, Jackson Park, Chicago, Ill., 12 August 1893
menu with "Iced Coffee" and "Iced Tea."
    Last month (June) was National Iced Tea Month and, of course, there were
lots of newspaper articles about how "Iced Tea" was invented at the 1904 St.
Louis World's Fair.

PAINT THE TOWN (continued)

    "Yale Victorious" is in the NATIONAL POLICE GAZETTE, 12 July 1884, pg. 7,
col. 3.  The ninth annual boat race was held June 26th.  I don't have the
Yale papers handy, so I can't provide a better answer right now.
     From the NATIONAL POLICE GAZETTE, 9 August 1884, pg. 2, col. 3:

     Our rustic friends will get along very well when they come to town if
they resign their ambition to paint the Bowery red.  The colors will not
stick on the east side as they do in Malariaville and Frogtown, where the
fighting deacons hail from.  Paste this in your hat when you're starting for
Gotham.