Monte Cristo sandwich

Miller, Jerry MILLERJ at FRANKLINCOLL.EDU
Thu Jun 1 06:18:02 UTC 2000

It's Con-SEE-Co Fieldhouse.

Jesus

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Bapopik at AOL.COM [SMTP:Bapopik at AOL.COM]
        Sent:   Wednesday, May 31, 2000 11:35 PM
        To:     ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
        Subject:        Monte Cristo sandwich

            The Indiana Pacers just beat the New York Knicks.  Pacer Mark
Jackson
        gave his "cross" sign after scoring a basket.  He said it wasn't to
counter
        Larry Johnson's "L" sign--it was just to praise Jesus.
            Maybe Jesus can tell me if it's the Con-SEE-Co or Con-SAY-Co
Arena.

        MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH

             From John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK:

        _Monte Cristo sandwich._  A sandwich composed of ham, chicken, and
Swiss
        cheese enclosed in bread that is dipped in beaten egg and fried
until golden
        brown.  The origin of the name is not known.

             From GOURMET, July 1968, pg. 53, col. 2:

        Q: My husband is Danish and trained in restaurant work, and we have
just
        arrived in California from Copenhagen.  We were recently served a
Monte
        Cristo sandwich at a Los Angeles restaurant, and are most interested
in
        learning the recipe.  We have been given a subscription to your
magazine and
        are very pleased with the many fine features you have.
        MRS. FLEMMING LINDBERG
        LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
        A: Perhaps named after the Count, here is
             _Monte Cristo Sandwich_
             Butter a slice of white bread and cover it with sliced lean
baked ham
        and sliced cooked chicken.  Butter a second slice on both sides,
place it on
        the meat, and cover it with thinly sliced Swiss cheese.  Butter a
third slice
        and place it, buttered side down, over the cheese.  Trim away the
crusts and
        cut the sandwich in half.  Secure the halves with wooden picks, dip
them in
        beaten egg, and saute them in butter on both sides until they are
golden
        brown.  Remove the picks and serve the sandwich with currant jelly,
        strawberry jam, or cranberry sauce.  Serves 1.

        MONKEY TEARS

             Any relation to Monkey Bread?
             From the LOS ANGELES TIMES PRIZE COOK BOOK (1923), pg. 271,
col. 1:

             _MONKEY TEARS_
             One cup sugar, four tablespoonfuls butter, one egg beat, mix
well.
        One-half cup sour milk, one scant teaspoon soda, dissolved in one
tablespoon
        of water and add to the sour milk.  Two and one-fourth cups of
flour, add.
        Drop small tablespoonfuls on greased pans about two inches apart.
Pat down
        and place three large raisins in center of each.  (These are the
tears.)
        Bake in moderate oven.
        --Mrs. P. G. Wiseman, Los Angeles.

        BAKING BLIND

             From GOURMET, January 1965, pg. 24, col. 3:

             _In foreign recipes, what it meant by baking pies and tarts
"blind"?_
             Baking "blind" means simply that the pie shells or tart shells
are baked
        separately, without a filling.

        SPIZZAZ

             From 10,000 SNACKS (1937) by Cora, Rose, and Bob Brown, pg.
448:

             Beyond the citrus belt are the snake farms, and from there come
smoked
        rattlesnake tidbits that put the spizzaz in cocktail parties.

             The OED has 1937 for "pizzazz."

        FOOD MISC.

        THREE GRUNTS AND A SIGH--This pork dish is on page 132 of THE
PALATISTS BOOK
        OF COOKERY (Hollywood, Calif., 1933).

        SNICKERDOODLES--Another sighting ("snicker doodles") is on page 91
of
        SELECTED RECIPES (Falmouth Foreside, Maine; November 1929).  Yet
another
        sighting ("snickerdoodles") is on page 123 of LOOK BEFORE YOU COOK
(1941) by
        Rose and Bob Brown.

        PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICH--MRS. WILLIAM VAUGHN MOODY'S COOK
BOOK
        (1931) has "White Bread, Entire Wheat Bread, Peanut Butter, Currant
Jelly"
        sandwich on pages 410-411.